Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring Fling!!






Last week I was on Spring Break from work, so taking advantage of the weekends on the front and tail ends, my friends Misty and Alison and I headed to Europe. We had such a great time together. We started out in Prague, then took a train into Vienna, next stop Salzburg and lastly onto Budapest. Oh, and one of the days we were in Vienna, we took a train into Bratislava, Slovakia (turns out they’re the 2 closest capitals in the world: 40 min. away), so we couldn’t be that close and miss it. So, it was a jam-packed trip but super fun.

Every place was so unique and beautiful in their own way, so it’s hard to pinpoint which one was my favorite. Prague was everything I expected and more. The history and the architecture were so cool. I definitely want to go back. Vienna was a really pleasant surprise. I don’t know why but I had been told by several people “yeah, it’s nice, but it’s just another big city”. But, it was so, so pretty and clean, and the people were really nice. I think Salzburg is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen in my life: just like I expected from seeing “The Sound of Music” and of course we had to do the tour. It was so great! We got to see all the sites: the gazebo, the cathedral where they were married, the back of the house on the lake where they filmed, etc… I really liked Budapest too; I loved the great views of the Danube and the mix of old and new.

We had some great memories from the trip: getting lost over and over and over again on all of the great public transportation (I think we finally started to get a hang of it in each city on the day we were ready to leave), enjoying the Hungarian baths: lots of beautiful and not so beautiful sights to see ☺, our extremely flamboyant tour guide on the Sound of Music tour, the ATM encased in a giant pig in Vienna (we searched forever for the ATM and am amazed they didn’t just say “oh yeah, it’s over there in that giant pig), our near police run in for “forgetting” to validate our tickets on the bus in Budapest and many, many more.

2 comments:

PDXTingeys said...

How fun! I bet you guys had an amazing time and those pictures are absolutely beautiful!

Kammy T said...

Gorgeous! What a super fun trip!