Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shake it up baby now.....









So today was a first for me, felt one of my first earthquakes. I think I was too little to remember any quakes before our family moved to UT and in the 6 years since I've been out here in L.A., I've only felt minor "rumbles" which more closely resembled my neighbors downstairs playing their music a little loud. Anyway, this one was a biggie, 5.4, not as big or destructive as the L.A. earthquake of '94, but things were definitely moving! I was alone in my room at work, doing some paperwork, when all of a sudden I felt the whole room shake. They've been doing a lot of construction at my school, so at first I just assumed it was that, but then the shaking continued and it freaked me out, so I promptly darted under my desk ( I guess something stuck from the years of earthquake drills). It was actually a good little wake-up call b/c it made me think "what do I need to do in order to be more prepared for an emergency?". I know I've been a little lax in that department lately and I know it's time to update.

7 comments:

Iris said...

Kim.......I hope everything is ok after the quake......I definitely owe you a phone call.....be careful!

Kim P. Edwards said...

Wow, Kim! I'm so glad you are okay. That picture illustrates the earthquake so well. Thanks for the reminder to get prepared. : )

Natalie said...

Glad you are ok, Kim. That must've been freaky.

Stacy said...

Kim, you are becoming a true Californian every day! Hopefully, you (and I) won't ever have to use the skills learned from this little practice quake.

Love,
A '94 Northridge quake survivor

Kammy T said...

Spooky! The last earthquake we had up here I was on my way to Safeway. It was creepy seeing all the stuff that had fallen of the shelves...and smelling the wine all over the floor. I'm sorry you were alone at the time!! But so glad you were safe and OK.

Team Fellows said...

kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim,

I'm so glad you are okay. Hope you had a great weekend. It was fun to chat on Thursday night even though it was short.

Love,
becky

kim said...

you guys are all so sweet! thanks so much for all the concern. sorry it took me forever to reply, just got back into town. i look forward to catching up on everyone's blogs again!