Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day!!


So, I'll be honest while I am grateful for our veteran's, most of the time I just enjoy having the day off and don't take the time to really reflect about all of the sacrifices people in the military have made past and present. I love history and when I read stories about these men and women who risk everything for the well being of our country, it makes me so proud to be an American. Today I saw a story on T.V. of a really cute couple who had been married for 10 years, the husband was deployed to Iraq last year and while on the roof of a house guarding the street, was hit by a bomb, barely surviving, suffering a severe traumatic brain injury. He has just relearned to talk and when asked he said "he knew he was making a difference and felt it was right for him to be there". What a great example! In one of my favorite books, " The Greatest Generation", it tells the story of a man who lied about his age, enlisting at 16 years old! (one of many) and then went on to fight for several years, earning various medals of honor for his bravery, but never telling anyone of his remarkable past. I can't imagine anyone being so willing to serve and humble of his successes. Just wanted to say Thank You!! to all the people in the military for your courage and sacrifices!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow kimmy you get school off!?! lucky duck! it really bugged me not only did our school not get school off for veterans day but we also didn't do a single thing to say thankyou or anything!! it really bugged me! anyway i can't wait to see you!

Team Fellows said...

Great post, ditto to everything you said! So grateful for the men and women who protect our country and our freedoms!

Kim P. Edwards said...

Kim, I loved reading this post! I've never thought much about Veteran's Day, until this year, with Eric being in the military. Thanks for your thoughts - you are such a good example to me!

Justin said...

Hi Kim. April just forward your blog to me so I can keep up with THE KIMMY. Sil and I have become addicted to blogging and blog stalking. Our blog is. www.justinandsilvia.blogspot.com
have a great day.